Our Cataumet Schoolhouse Programs
Third Grade Visits
Time spent in the schoolyard with John York is always a highlight as he is able to keep the students engaged and motivated. Back in the classroom, students love the chance to write their names with a real fountain pen.
The artifact scavenger hunt provides students an opportunity to interact as they seek out objects that were part of learning, living and playing in the early 1900s. Working in teams, students identify an antique hole-punch, a water crock, and unusual looking ice skates, among many other objects on their list.
This program supports the third grade social studies curriculum as well as the educational mission of the CSPG.
The Graphic Novel collection addresses a need for grades 3-5. This genre has shed its “comic book” image and has come into its own as valuable literature, often motivating reluctant readers to engage.
The Butterfly and Pollinator Garden allows students to study butterflies in their natural habitat. We love the way it connects to the teaching of science through outdoor experiences at the Schoolhouse.
Last year four $1000 scholarships were awarded to Bourne students attending UMass/Amherst, Suffolk University, Loyola University and UMass Dartmouth. We congratulate these students and wish them well on their journey to a successful future.
We will be reviewing applications in the spring of this year for Bourne students attending college in the fall of 2023. Applications may be obtained on the CCA website at email@example.com. All information pertaining to the scholarships will be on the application form.
Bourne 3rd Graders Get A Taste Of School Life In The Old Days
Pails in a variety of sizes hang in the foyer of the 1894 Cataumet Schoolhouse on County Road. The pails are the type commonly used for boiling lard back in the day. Why do they hang in the schoolhouse? Because the pails were also used as children’s school lunch boxes. Such is the level of historical detail 3rd graders from Bournedale Elementary School learned during a visit to the historic schoolhouse Tuesday morning, October 3.
Read the rest of the article.